Memorial Day Weekend 2011

What a great weekend we had camping!

Thursday Kirra and I left our house about 6:30 a.m. to get to Pam & Phil’s by 7:15am or so. We got on the road about 7:45 a.m. and were off! We saw so much road kill on the road up there it was unbelievable. I probably counted about 30 dead animals on the way up!

We finally got there at about 11:15 a.m. so we had the whole day ahead of us. We picked out the “perfect” spot for our tent, got our stuff set up, and just hung out. We had a small crowd the first night, but the evening was absolutely gorgeous.

I went out fishing with Phil in his canoe, and my father in law warned that there “were no fish but sunnies biting” at the hour we went….so when I caught my 3/4# bass I was very excited to say the least….so we paddled back to camp,and I abruptly stood up in the boat to show Frank my bass, and as I did Phil leaned back, and we were in the drink! My mother in law said that Phil had a look of horror on his face while I just looked like I didn’t believe it was happening…. I almost lost my “White Russian” drink in the process, but managed to find it swamped in the canoe! A little lake water never did anyone any harm!

Friday was really nice in the morning. I got up early with Kirra since I didn’t have the choice of having Jason wake up with her and got her breakfast of honey nut Cheerios going. I took Cash’s senior photos, and paddled around the lake. Boy oh boy was it gorgeous! ‘Bout 1pm it started raining,and the rain rain didn’t go away….. it rained the entire stinkin’ day! Kirra and I did take an excessively long nap,which was peaceful hearing the pitter patter of the rain on the tent. We only stayed up for about 4 hours before we went back to bed again about 8pm.

Kirra woke me up around 1am crying that she had to go potty,and i could hear that outside of the tent is was a torrential downpour! I thought…great…now I have to get up out of bed, and take her, so we did, and got soaking wet! We changed our clothes, and crawled back into bed…. the rain and the wind were so violent I thought for sure the tent was coming down. I cursed camping, and thought about never doing it again! Kirra went right back to sleep, but I was freaking myself out with every tarp blowing in the wind, and my tent ravishing like the Blair Witch Project! Finally at 3:15 a.m. on the DOT the rain STOPPED! I laid in bed for a little while, and heard some rustling outside… I was a little nervous, and then overwhelmingly smelled lighter fluid…and then WHOOSH… goes the fire! I peered out of one of my tent windows and saw Mike [Jason’s cousin] out there, so I went out and we sat talking until almost 6:00 a.m. watching the sun come up. I laid back down and got about an hour before Kirra woke up.

We had breakfast, and a kayak ride (the highlight of every day for Kirra). Every day I did at least one loop around the lake with her which is about 1.5 miles of paddling. Once I got back it was around noon or so, and Jason called to say he was in Grand Rapids on his way. I had Theo watch Kirra and I went to the tent to nap! I didn’t wake up until at least 4pm, it was so great! Saturday rained intermittently but nothing like Friday, so I was ok with that! I still got to bed fairly early (11:30 pm) but it was so great to have my husband back and to cuddle up to!

Sunday was GORGEOUS with a capital G! Everyone was out on the lake fishing between about 5 boats, and we just slaughtered the lake! Everyone caught a minimum of 3 keepers of sunnies, crappie, and bass. Jason and I took home three full bags! After we were all in,we had dinner and cocktails around the bonfire. I stayed up only slightly later (12:30 a.m.) and again fell asleep hard!

We woke up about 6:30 a.m. to the sound of pitter patter on the tent again. I prayed so hard that it wouldn’t be raining for tear down and pack up,and by 8:40 a.m. when we actually got up God delivered! It stayed hot hazy and humid the rest of the day but no rain!

We got home and unpacked in very very hot and humid weather, and I was so grateful for the basement to be all finished so I could hang out down there when it was SO hot in the rest of the house. I’m so thankful for all the help I got doing it half solo with Kirra, and although I cursed Friday/Saturday I had an absolutely WONDERFUL time! There’s no time like Lydick!

Great photo of Phil (Kirra’s Godfather and
 Frank my Father In Law
Lake Lydick
A view of camp
My Wheaties cup that I almost lost when tipping over in the canoe
(Breakfast of Champions!)
Kirra enjoying herself

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s