Well we now have a new birth plan! The origional plan was to go to labor at home as long as possible, and then go in to the hospital… have dim lights, relaxing music on the CD player, utilize the birthing ball, and to have the baby vaginally, with our without drugs. That didn’t matter. I was basically going to just take it one contraction at a time.
Today I went in for my 37/38 week appointment, and found out that our baby is breech! She was breech at my 21 week ultrasound, as well as my 28 week ultrasound, however the doctors weren’t worried, because there was always time to flip. Well our little turkey has decided that she likes to be upright, because there is no evidence that she is going to flip her head to a down position.
The doc gave me two choices. Either try external version, or schedule a C-Section.
External version is where they try to flip the baby by use of a lot of pressure, and hand placement. This is done in the hospital and is closely monitored because the risks are high. Your water can break during the process, baby can become distressed, or the umbilical cord can get wrapped around their neck. If these situations arise you need to have an emergency c-section. However the plus side is 50% of the time, the doctor can flip them to a head-down position.
Well we (Jason and I) went back and forth with it and decided just to schedule the C-Section. Our biggest concern is that something could go wrong during the version, and then I would need an emergency C-Section. Furthermore the procedure only has a 50-65% sucess rate at best, so it’s kind of like flipping a coin, for something that is apparently very painful.
So I will call the doc tomorrow, and after we have the “Delivery Date” scheduled I will post. Wish us luck! We love you all 🙂